Based on the Cisco Global Cloud Index, digitalization is projected to grow global data center and public/private cloud networks traffic more than 25 percent annually, resulting in a threefold increase by 2019. To help network providers meet these challenges, the Cisco® Network Convergence System 5500 Series is built with features such as high port densities, deep packet buffering, and forwarding hardware optimized for these types of deployments.
The Cisco NCS 5500 Series offers four fixed configuration chassis, the NCS 5501, NCS 5501 SE, NCS 5502 and NCS 5502 SE. These systems provide functionality vital to both the Top of Rack (ToR) and spine or leaf roles common to modern spine-and-leaf architectures. Capabilities such as advanced packet classification, segment routing, ultra-wide ECMP, programmable network management and telemetry are added to the robust and mature features already present in Cisco IOS® XR Software Release 6.0.0.
- Integrated Interface – 1GE/10GE/25GE/40GE/100 Gigabit Ethernet support
- Industry leading carrier-class Cisco IOS XR Software – Visibility and telemetry, Machine-to-machine interface, Application hosting, Flexible platform and packaging, Modularity, Automation
- Management ports – Provides easy access to system console
- External USB port – Helps simplify image and file management
- Embedded USB (eUSB) storage – Flash memory devices for storing software image, configuration, logging, and recovery
- Power consumption – Ultra-low power per Gigabit Ethernet
- Redundancy – Redundant fan tray, Redundant AC or DC power supply